Advancing Basic Science for Humanity
Project Coordinator, Science
The Kavli Foundation is dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of humanity. The foundation’s mission is implemented through an international program of Kavli research institutes, initiatives and symposia in the fields of astrophysics, theoretical physics, nanoscience and neuroscience, as well as the biennially awarded Kavli Prize and a program in public engagement with science.
The foundation supports scientific research and catalyzes and enables opportunities to have greater impact in science. A signature of the foundation, and the science program, is our constellation of Kavli Institutes around the globe where scientists conduct curiosity-driven research in neuroscience, nanoscience, astrophysics, and theoretical physics. The science program, as with all programmatic areas at the foundation, takes an approach of convening experts across different disciplines to discuss and identify opportunities to advance science and practices to support the health of the scientific enterprise.
Reporting to the director of life sciences, the project coordinator will support the co-directors of science and their work on the foundation’s scientific programs. These programs include the Kavli Institutes, Kavli meetings, scientific society programs, and other science-related activities of the foundation. The successful candidate should bring to the position: demonstrated significant project management and information tracking skills; experience working directly with organization directors or equivalent; strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail; strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, and external partners; expert level written and verbal communication skills; a proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion; and adaptability to and management of various competing demands.
Location: The Kavli Foundation Headquarter Office, 5715 Mesmer Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90230
Position Type: Full-time
Travel Required: Minimal to none
Direct Report: Director, Life Sciences
1. Tracking and management of information
- Researches, prioritizes and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the co-directors, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Designing, monitoring and improving workflows to make sure projects stay on track; coordinating with relevant foundation staff to ensure efficiency in workflows.
- Evaluate potential problems and technical hitches and develop solutions.
- Entry, maintenance and reporting of data into and from Salesforce CRM system, including updates to academic leadership, Kavli Institute directors and assistant contact information.
- Manage project-related paperwork by ensuring all necessary materials are current, properly filed and stored.
- Adhere to budget by monitoring expenses and implementing cost-saving measures (when/where applicable).
2. Facilitation of co-director meetings and relationship building
- Prepares preparatory materials for calls, meetings, travel and similar activities. Following meetings, assists in determining appropriate course of action, referral or response.
- Coordinate meetings with various constituents, including coordination of the co-director’s travel and preparation of detailed itineraries and agenda.
- Input meetings and all relevant visit information into co-director’s calendars and logs in Salesforce.
- Compile or create relevant preparatory and follow-up documents for all meetings.
- Compose and prepare correspondence, including occasional confidential information.
3. Calendar meetings
- Set-up meetings and phone/web conference calls.
- Record meeting minutes and action items from meetings (in Asana and/or Salesforce as appropriate).
4. Support co-directors; preparation for board of directors and trustee meetings/reports
- Identify Calendar key dates for board meeting preparation and plan timeline for meeting deadlines.
- Proofread and format board/trustee report drafts and presentations.
- Help create PowerPoint and other materials.
5. Prepare travel and expense reports for co-directors
- Prepare travel pre-approval requests and expense reports through the SAP Concur system.
- Coordinate with the foundation’s travel agent the purchases of airline tickets, hotel accommodations, rental cars and/or car service; or arrange complex and detailed travel.
6. Assist with symposia, meetings and special events
- Help coordinate on/off- -site meetings (in-person or virtual), receptions and dinners as well as assistance during an event as needed as directed by the foundation meetings and events manager. Duties might include assisting the directors and their team in all aspects of planning and implementing meetings and events including working with the events manager on invitations, tracking RSVPs, budgeting, and coordinating with hotel staff regarding contract, banquet event orders and rooming lists.
7. Inter-team coordination
- Work closely with members of other foundation teams to create seamless transfer of information and tasks.
- Example tasks include the following: (1) work with accounting to efficiently process science meeting attendee travel reimbursements, (2) work with the digital content & engagement manager to prepare Kavli Science Meeting materials and content for the foundation’s web page, (3) work with assistants of other teams to share responsibility for requesting/ordering supplies, monitoring office equipment, and generally maintaining the foundation’s offices in a way that enables all team members to pursue their work most efficiently.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Required: Five years’ experience as project manager/coordinator or executive assistant
- Experience working at an academic institution, nonprofit organization or foundation
- Intermediate technology skills:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Database systems (e.g., grant management, CRM, event management, travel management)
- Microsoft software programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Outlook Calendar management experience required
- Strong attention to detail
- Exhibit self-initiative and problem-solving skills
- Project management experience required. Familiarity preferred: Asana, Salesforce, Wordpress
- Concur travel and expense experience preferred
- Excellent writing, communication and organizational skills
- Superb time management skills—able to anticipate workload, be proactive and meet deadlines
- Ease in working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work with a variety of people to support a team
- Submit cover letter and resume to hr <at> kavlifoundation <dot> org
- Complete Culture Index Survey